SHREVEPORT MEDICAL SOCIETY AUXILIARY
THE SHREVEPORT MEDICAL SOCIETY AUXILIARY, originally called
The Woman’s Auxiliary to the Shreveport Medical Society, was organized in
January 1928 by Mrs. A.A. Herold with forty-six doctors’ wives in attendance
in the Washington-Youree Hotel's Crystal Ballroom. It was the first such society
in Louisiana. Its first major project was working with the Shreveport
Tuberculosis League in the care and education of children at
The Pines Preventorium,
a facility for the children of tuberculosis victims.
Projects such as Health Fairs, Annual Style Shows for nurses' scholarships,
and Doctor's Day are still part of the present day auxiliary's activities.
At its founding the members' common interest was that they
were all doctors' wives and were dedicated to community health issues.
Recognizing the increased number of women in the ranks as doctors and
the number of husbands not doctors who would be interested in membership
in the auxiliary, the name was changed to the
Shreveport Medical Society Auxiliary in 1976.
Bibliography: Shreveport Medical Society Auxiliary Records,
Northwest Louisiana Archives, Noel Memorial Library, Shreveport: Louisiana State University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style,
15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.
"SHREVEPORT MEDICAL SOCIETY AUXILIARY" Handbook of North Louisiana Online
(http://www…….), accessed …………. Published by LSU-Shreveport.