THE PINES PREVENTORIUM was established in 1929 for the
children of tuberculosis (TB) patients who lived in The Pines, a TB Sanitarium
located on Greenwood Road (U. S. Hwy. 80) nine miles outside the city of
Shreveport, Louisiana. It was founded in 1916 as a rest camp by Mrs. Meyer Benson,
director of the Shreveport Tuberculosis League, teaching patients how to care
for themselves and at the same time protecting their families against infection.
The children of the TB patients were naturally separated from
their parents and lived in a house on the grounds cared for by a physician
and a nurse. They were scrawny, undernourished and potential victims of the
disease. The Shreveport Medical Society Auxiliary established a school for
these children, providing lessons, activities, celebrating birthdays and
holidays with them beginning in February 1930. Fundraisers were held to
support the outings, parties and school supplies. Some of these children
were adopted if their parents did not survive the TB but some were
eventually reunited with their parents.
The Preventorium closed in 1942 but it saved forty-two children,
who later in life would have contracted the disease.
Bibliography: Maude Hearne O’Pry. Chronicles of Shreveport
(Shreveport, LA: Journal Printing Company, 1978);
Shreveport Medical Society Auxiliary Records,
Northwest Louisiana Archives, Noel Memorial Library, Shreveport: Louisiana State University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style,
15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.
"PINES PREVENTORIUM" Handbook of North Louisiana Online
(http://www…….), accessed …………. Published by LSU-Shreveport.