AGURS, WILLIAM CULP
AGURS, WILLIAM CULP (III) was an oil pioneer in northwest Louisiana.
He was also a plantation owner, an insurance agent, and a real estate developer.
He was born four miles west of Greenwood, La. on the Hope Place, June 21, 1870.
His mother was Margaret Dickson Martin of Forest Park Plantation in Greenwood.
His father, W. C. Agurs (II) came to the area from the California Gold Rush,
and paid in gold for the Hope Place Acreage, later referred to as the California Place.
William Culp Agurs (III) served on the Shreveport City Council and the
Caddo Parish Police Jury, and was supervisor of Caddo elections twice.
Agurs was involved in the establishment of the Progressive League to
foster the development of Shreveport's industrial potential.
He formulated plans for developing the northern part of the city, known as Douglas Island.
Bibliography: "Agurs--Luck, Hard Work Paid Off,"
Shreveport Times, 5 Oct. 1979, 1B.; Eric J. Brock, "Agurs Progresses From
Farming Community to Industrial Section of Shreveport," Forum News, 30 May 2001.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style,
15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.
"AGURS, WILLIAM CULP" Handbook of North Louisiana Online
. Published by LSU-Shreveport.