AGURS, VILLAGE OF
THE VILLAGE OF AGURS north of Shreveport, La. began as a
private venture and incorporated in 1920. It was named for W. C. Agurs,
owner of large plantation bounded by Cross Bayou, Twelve-Mile Bayou, and
Red River. W. C. Agurs subdivided and offered sites for sale for homes or businesses.
In late 1926, the Village of Agurs was incorporated into the City of Shreveport.
The original townsite, which developed as Douglas Island, a farming community
in the late nineteenth century, was formally named and established as a
community in 1903 though it never incorporated. During the Civil War,
the Confederate Naval Yard in Shreveport had part of its works on
the Agurs side of Cross Bayou.
Bibliography: "Agurs--Luck, Hard Work Paid Off,"
Shreveport Times, 5 Oct. 1979, 1B.; Eric J. Brock, "Agurs Progresses From
Farming Community to Industrial Section of Shreveport," Forum News, 30 May 2001.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style,
15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.
"AGURS, VILLAGE OF" Handbook of North Louisiana Online
. Published by LSU-Shreveport.